Thursday, January 18, 2007

IT'S ONLY "EUPHORIA"


The first time I heard "Bhulado Bhulado ..... " was last December when I was back home for my winter vacations. My bro told me that it was on the top of the charts.My first reaction was 'finally'. Finally we have an Indian Band on the scene : we finally have a successor to 'Euphoria' and someone to rival those Pakistani bands. The melody, background score, lyrics and the overtones were so 'INDIAN', unlike the likes of 'Jal' and ' Strings' that I had heard recently(which one could sense that they had a distinct Persian and Sufi influence) that I was misled to believe that we finally have something to boast of in front of our neighbors when it came to the 'pop' culture.My renaissanic belief, as you would have realized by now, was shortlived when I found that it was yet another Pakistani band that was making crests and troughs on the Indian music scene.


'Euphoria' is the only band that comes to mind when you talk of the Indian pop culture. No denying the fact we have had individual singers starting from Shaan to Himesh Reshamiya to Alisha Chenoy making headlines but even then we have always fallen sort of a proper band in the league of Jal, Junoon or Strings. Euphoria has been there and there about. It might not come as a surprise if we find Palash Sen deserting the band to launch his career as a playback singer that has the glamour factor attached to it. A few years back there was band , if I can rightly remember, named Agosh that was making news with there song "..mujhe mil jo jaye thoda paisa..".It was a band of 3 engineering graduates but since then there has been anything else. I am still trying to ignite those grey cells to come up with another Indian band. Its a real tough job. May be its only Euphoria after all.....

No comments: