Sunday, September 30, 2007

EKLAVYA : India's Official Entry to the Oscars !!

WDF ! These were the first words that struck me once I read the bulletin on the web. I was shocked to say the least. I banged my fist on the lectern and gave a huge grin at the adjoining pic of Vindhu Vinod Chopra.

It was one of those rare movies that we had gone for.[and I sincerely regret having gone for it]. With DVD ripped movies landing up on LAN within a week of their release, going to the theater and spending 200 bucks seems really far-fetched. It was not the last time. We repeated the blunder with 'TaRa Rum Pum'. From the little that I remember about the script, it had none. I still educe the fact that I spent the whole movie waiting for something to happen. It started with the revelation of propinquitous relationship between the queen and her guard and it ended with the guard defying ethics to put love ahead of his obligations. In between, we had the foreign returned prince doting on a poor girl ( surprising?), a perverse impotent king, and some excellent cinematography. That was it. Cinematography was the only thing that stood out. But do you select films to represent your country on the basis of "cinematography'"? Certainly NO. We had walked into the theater with loads of expectations - it was VVC's first movie since Mission Kashmir, he had spent over five years writing the script and the star cast boasted of AB, Saif Ali Khan, Boman Irani and Sharmila Tagore. I am no film critic but this movie certainly did not get my pulses racing nor did it cause an emotional stir somewhere within. This movie 'cupped' royally at the box office. I am not very sure if the critics rated that highly. From the little that I observed, Guru and Chak De got better reviews and yet..... I am not into regional cinema. There would obviously be some that must have stood out. I am sure that there would have been many that would have outweighed Eklavya in every other department excluding cinematography. It is not surprising that issues are being raised against its selections. An affidavit has already been filed. Movies like Dharm, Guru and Chak De were certainly better when it came to script. Better by a long way......................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

finally we agree on something!!! eklavya??? wdf!!!